Welcome to DOT ITS Knowledge Resources
Intelligent transportation systems (ITS) provide a proven set of strategies for advancing transportation safety, mobility, and environmental sustainability by integrating communication and information technology applications into the management and operation of the transportation system across all modes. This website presents summaries on the benefits, costs, deployment levels, and lessons learned for ITS deployment and operations from over 20 years of ITS evaluation studies, research syntheses, handbooks, journal articles, and conference papers tracking the effectiveness of deployed ITS.
Browse Resource Databases
- Added: 03/24/2017 - Delay savings benefit-to-cost ratio of 8.5:1 found with deployment of a traffic incident management system in Knoxville, Tennessee
- Added: 03/21/2017 - Transit Signal Priority (TSP) logic that resolves conflicting TSP requests can reduce bus intersection delay up to 57 percent compared to conventional first-come-first-serve TSP strategies.
- Added: 02/27/2017 - Deploying advanced wayfinding technologies in transit agencies present communications, legal, institutional, and technical challenges
- Added: 02/27/2017 - A mileage-based user fee study in Minnesota generated nearly $38,000 in simulated revenue over six months.
- Added: 02/27/2017 - Placing detectors and deploying transit signal priority should be done to maximize benefits for transit vehicles while minimizing delay for other vehicles.
- Added: 02/27/2017 - Motivating forces to cultivate a culture for Real Time Ridesharing, as well as experience in beta testing systems are necessary for the successful adoption of a Ridesharing program
- Added: 02/27/2017 - When implementing congestion pricing, considerations must be made for the impact dynamic tolling will have on travel choice and behavior among a specific region and/or corridor’s travelers.
- Added: 02/17/2017 - Future ICM systems will require new technical skill sets. Involve management across multiple levels to help agencies understand each other’s needs, capabilities, and priorities.
- Added: 02/17/2017 - Prototype Crash Warning Interface displays for Connected Vehicle-based motorcycle Crash Warning System show considerable promise for implementation.
- Added: 02/17/2017 - Active Traffic Management system installed along I-66 reduces travel times by up to 11 percent and reduces vehicle delay by up to 68 percent
- Added: 02/17/2017 - A mobile weather responsive traffic management system saved the Wyoming DOT more than one person-year of labor costs.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Transit improvements, carpooling campaign, and HOV to HOT conversion demonstration project cost $70,460,779 for capital and $55,896,725 for ongoing maintenance.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Deployment of a new CAD/AVL and voice communication system to cost the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit $21 million.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Transit management system in Chicago reduces larger-than-scheduled bus gaps by nearly 40 percent.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Chicago Transit Authority installs computerized bus-tracking system for 1,800 fleet vehicles for an estimated cost of $8.8 million.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Following a small-scale launch of a real-time transit information systen in Tampa, 64 percent of users reported spending less time waiting at the bus stop.
- Added: 02/01/2017 - Use a local SQL Lite database with positional data to improve the performance of GIS applications
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Use a modular project structure and focus on high priority objectives and project components when deploying complex ITS projects such as those with connected vehicle technologies.
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Develop a focused outreach plan that identifies all stakeholders, the message appropriate for each stakeholder and the method in which you will reach the stakeholders when embarking on a connected vehicle project.
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Perform a thorough and thoughtful analysis when scoping, sizing, and identifying the geographic location of connected vehicle projects, and ensure that the strategies used to recruit test subjects or drivers are consistent with these assumptions and those of the experimental plan.
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Clearly communicate requirements and testing procedures to connected vehicle device developers, and allow for industry input and iteration for less mature devices.
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Specify interoperability testing requirements and steps as part of the connected vehicle device requirements prior to starting multiple rounds of testing, feedback, reset, and retesting.
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Conduct a data collection pilot test to validate end-to-end data acquisition, transfer, processing, and quality assessment processes.
- Added: 01/26/2017 - The Safe Green Passage application using the Multipath Signal Phase and Timing (SPaT) broadcast message to inform drivers revealed that as travel demand increased, the benefits of the application decreased.
- Added: 01/06/2017 - Study finds that by 2035, a 50 percent penetration of electric drayage trucks for near-dock and off-dock service in the LA-area would reduce GHG emissions by 30 percent.
- Added: 01/06/2017 - Study shows that utilizing distributed parking facilities can improve the overall performance of an Automated Mobililty-on-Demand system
- Added: 01/06/2017 - Free floating, one-way car sharing model reduces GHG per household by up to 18 percent
- Added: 12/09/2016 - "Vehicle Entering When Flashing" Signs at stop-controlled intersections in North Carolina yield a 7 percent reduction in crashes.
- Added: 12/09/2016 - Inductive charging on Utah State Univeristy electric bus enables lighter, cheaper batteries while achieving 90 percent power transfer efficiency.
- Added: 12/06/2016 - In-vehicle adaptive stop display results in more compliant behavior compared to the traditional stop sign.