Rear-visibility systems are expected to prevent over one thousand backover injuries each year.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) rear visibility systems analysis.

Nationwide,United States

Summary Information

The NHTSA submitted a final rule requiring more stringent rear-visibility standards in light vehicles. Effective June 6, 2014 the regulation will require automakers to phase-in the installation of rear-visibility technology in all light vehicles by May 2018. Designed to eliminate blind zones behind vehicles and afford protection to children and persons with disabilities, new cars and trucks with gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds are less will have in-vehicle rear-view video systems that will display a 10-foot-by-20-foot zone behind the vehicle when the driver engages reverse.

As part of the Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007, NHTSA conducted research to evaluate backover crashes and the need for appropriate countermeasures. Research indicated that approximately 210 fatalities and 15,000 injuries are attributable to light vehicle backover crashes each year. Children under five years old accounted for 31 percent of fatalities and adults 70 years or older accounted for 26 percent.

The final rule compared the benefits and costs of the technology over a range of adoption rates. The agency reported that automakers were adopting the technology and that by 2018 up to 73 percent of the new vehicle fleet would be equipped as a result of market forces. The remaining 27 percent would be equipped to satisfy regulatory requirements.


The effectiveness of rear-view video systems was estimated to range from 28 to 33 percent which is substantially better than alternative "sensor-only systems" currently available.
  • Applying the estimated effectiveness to the target population, the aforementioned systems were projected to save 58 to 69 lives per year assuming full market penetration by 2054.
  • NHTSA noted that approximately 73 percent of new light vehicles will be equipped by 2018 as a result of market forces, regardless of regulation.
  • Compliance by regulation, however, applicable to the remaining 27 percent of light vehicles, will save an additional 13 to 15 lives annually, and prevent 1,125 to 1,332 injuries each year.

Benefit Comments

No comments posted to date

Comment on this Benefit

To comment on this summary, fill in the information below and click on submit. An asterisk (*) indicates a required field. Your name and email address, if provided, will not be posted, but are to contact you, if needed to clarify your comments.


Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard; Rear Visibility; Final Rule

Published By: U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Source Date: 04/07/2014

Other Reference Number: Federal Register Vol. 79, No. 66 (49 CFR Part 571)



Average User Rating

0 ( ratings)

Rate this Benefit

(click stars to rate)

Benefit ID: 2014-00920